Home fires can be prevented as long as you act in time to avoid suffering serious consequences. That’s why in this article we’ll give you tips to overcome a fire damage, in case your home experiences one.
To do so, it’s necessary to be clear about the types of fires that exist. This way you’ll know how to control them.
Fires are classified as follows:
- Class A: These are combustible materials such as paper, cardboard or wood.
- Class B: They come from flammable liquids.
- Class C: They originate from electrical problems.
- Class D: They can be generated by flammable metals.
- Class F: They are caused by the cooking oils.
It’s necessary to take into account several factors that can cause a fire. It’s important that you know the procedures to follow in case of a fire in your home. This in order to ensure your safety and that of your family.
Tips for preventing fires in the home
Fires can cause great damage to your home. That’s why you should always be prepared for any type of mishap.
Next, we’ll give you tips for fire prevention in your home.
- Check the gas and electricity installations in your home. Remember to make sure they are working properly.
- Make sure that electrical appliances are in good condition.
- Avoid at all costs to connect electrical appliances of high consumption at the same time. This can generate an overload of current, which could set fire to the wires of your home and everything flammable in its path.
- Don’t leave candles burning for too long. If you can’t be aware of them, avoid leaving them lit.
- Always keep the chimney clean and with its proper protection, this way you’ll avoid that the chips generate a fire in your home.
- It’s very important that you invest in a differential switch inside your home. This is a great tool to help prevent a fire in your home.
- Hair and clothes irons consume a lot of energy and can overload your home’s electrical system. That’s why we recommend that you keep them unplugged when not in use.
- A universal rule, do not smoke in enclosed spaces. Avoid the accumulation of smoke having a window or door.
- When you are in the kitchen, pay close attention to everything. This part of the house is one of the main causes of fire in your home, check that the oven is not left on for a long time after having used it, avoid leaving pots and pans near the burners, be careful with oils, and also be very preventive with gas leaks.
- If you’ll be away from home for a long period of time, the best thing to do is to turn off the gas tap to avoid fire damage in your home.
And as a last tip, install a smoke detector, it’s ideal to have one in every room of the house, more than an investment will help you prevent major fire damage in your home.
How to put out a fire at home?
We know that it’s very complex to control a fire in your home after it has started, that is why the best way to fight them is to act quickly so that it does not cause great damage.
The best way is to control these fires from the beginning before they spread, so we’ll give you a series of recommendations so that you can be forewarned and be able to face a situation like this in your home without suffering the consequences of the damage caused by fire.
- Use a fire extinguisher, it’s almost mandatory that you have one, keep in mind that these devices have foam and should not be used to extinguish fires caused by oils, it’s a serious mistake, it is key to know what type of extinguisher is used for each type of fire.
- Using a fire blanket to fight small fires in the kitchen is a great help.
- The wet rags work very well in a small flame, the most recommended is that it can be covered with a wet rag.
- Baking soda, which is part of our daily life at home, also serves to extinguish small fires, always have this component at hand in your home.
- Important: in case you can’t control the fire, contact the fire department and prepare an evacuation plan.
What are the safety measures to implement in case your home catches fire?
If you have children at home, it’s best to follow these recommendations to the letter. This way you will avoid many accidents at home or fire damage.
- Cover the electrical outlets.
- Do not leave flammable products near children.
- Plan a fire safety action plan at home.
- It’s essential that the whole family is educated to know what the fire alarm noise is. How to act in case of hearing it and to take into account all the emergency exits.
- Last but not least, it’s never an option to hide in these cases.
It’s advisable that all the members of the family know the main preventive measures in case of a fire due to an electrical problem or gas leak in your home.
At Let Us Claim we handle all types of fire damage in your home.
Let Us Claim is your ally when making an insurance claim for fire damage. Our team of experts will guide you through the entire claim process. We are licensed and accredited to represent our clients to obtain fair compensation to repair the damage to your property.
From commercial fires, residential fires, smoke, flame and soot damage. Our public adjusters are here to assess and document the damage and affected areas, establish the value of your loss and work for fair compensation for your claim.
Contact us! We have 13 years of experience and have coverage throughout Florida. If you have fire damage to your home or business we can help. Call 407-610-2333 to schedule your inspection completely free.